Do you have a display like this at your library???
My girlfriend, Nancy filled me in on these little gems about a year ago. I was in love with them the minute the headphones hit my kids ears. A Playaway is the simplest way to listen to an audiobook on the go. With the audio already contained within, and a battery to make it play, there’s nothing left to do but plug in earphones and enjoy. My local library is filled with some great Playaways. Here is our latest rental for a long car trip…
Both my 8 and 5 year-olds love these. Just give them some earphone, tell them to imagine the story in their heads as they listen, and they are content till the story ends. Great for long car rides!!! Check your local library and see if they have them, you will want to check them out!
Teaching Heart’s Top 10 the benefits of listening to an audio book.
1. Improves listening skills
2. Helps improve story comprehension
3. Can spark a love of reading in low-interest readers
4. Aids in word pronunciation
5. Kids hear how words can come alive in an expressive way (when they read stories on their own this will help with fluency)
6. Develops a child’s imagination as they visualize the story
7. A pre-reading child can listen to the story over and over by themselves
8. Audio stories are affordable and portable
9. Great for car trips.
10. Gives mommy or daddy a break from reading a favorite book 100 times – snuggle up and listen with your child.
Thanks Nancy for the tip!